Friday 5 June 2015

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray rear lights



At first glance these Chevrolet Corvette Stingrays look the same. This is #387, the Whizzwheels version of the #300 Golden Jacks car and neither edition was around for long. Look closely, though, and you'll see that the top photograph shows four nice jewelled rear lights whereas the lower one just has red blobs.

The badge is also missing on the second car but whether that was even more cost cutting by Corgi in trouble in the 1970s or is just missing I cannot tell.

I had, strangely, spotted a jewelled light version on the Little Wheels site. I use the word light in the singular as I believe there was just the one remaining on the model he had photographed there, the holes in the back being what drew the picture to my attention in the first place. I even wrote to him to say that it looked like he had a special version there, a sort of 'inbetween' model when I guess someone at the factory decided that all future items had to have the Whizzwheels and his model would have been sitting there waiting for a Golden Jacks base and instead got the newer one.

There can't have been many with Whizzwheels and jewelled rear lights so I am delighted to have found this one in a colleague#'s collection in the States last week.


I also wrote to the Little Wheels chap as he hadn't appreciated that there is, indeed, a metallic pink version of this. I would have bought the blue one he had but he says he's now sold everything. Shame. He also had the only Bedford 412 Ambulance with a later single screen that I've would like to have bought but that's another story






No comments:

Post a Comment