Monday 6 July 2015

What Corgi shouldn't have done to a Ford Mustang



It was an ignominious end for the Mustang casting when someone decided to use it one more time for the dreadful 'Organ Grinder' dragster edition in 1971. The original, despite the metallic mauve and pea green colours, despite the annoying doors that seldom shut properly and despite the vulnerable suspension, had been a favourite and represented a great Corgi model. It received some slightly embarrassingly big wheels in some later 'Competition' versions and also in 'Flower Power' guise but still looked the part and was a car we'd be proud to have on the tracks.

Although in excellent condition all round, this thing is pretty bad. I think I might have accepted it more readily if it hadn't had what looks like an oversized driver stretched out inside whose head appears to stick through the rear window frame too. The wheels aren't bad, I suppose, for Whizzwheels but that engine affair is just a joke. The red plastic fore and aft I could accept but that engine and interior is not so much a joke as just a toy - and that's the way Corgi were then heading, making things that were just toys for little kids, not appreciative young children with an actual interest in real cars.

There may have been a group of dragster loving lads for whom this and a range of others with one sixty type numbers were just what they wanted to collect and play with but this was a move way off in a direction far removed from where I wanted or, indeed, even now, want to go. 

I have deliberately avoided getting the crazy long dragster editions but I felt I had to get this purely because the cast was based on that lovely original. Like the sad misuse of the Citroen DS for the Cycling Race Manager's car, these are cars I had to get but will now happily get rid of having taken the photographs and added them to the catalogue. It was also ridiculously cheap.

So I am hoping someone will buy this soon. I'll put the money towards a nice 'Flower Power' or Competition edition as there are variations of them that I still need.



No comments:

Post a Comment